Monday, November 23, 2009

Costa Rica...Arrival

I flew out of Orlando International Airport (MCO) this morning at 7:25AM and arrived in Juan Santamaria International Airport (SJO) around 11:40AM local time. It's called the San Jose airport, but it is actually in Alajuela which is a 20+ minute bus ride to downtown San Jose. First bus ride attempt, I ended up getting off in Alajuela and walking around for a bit (an hour?) before I realized I was not in San Jose where I wanted to be. Paid another 400 Colones (72 cents) and found my way to San Jose where I preceded to continue my confused wandering with absolutely NO street signs and a very limited ability to speak Spanish.

I eventually found Costa Rican Backpackers Hostel ($12) and proceded to take a four hour nap after only a couple hours of sleep the night before. I awoke to a couple friendly dormmates from New York, British Columbia, and Germany and had a couple beers (Imperial - the beer of Costa Rica? = Budweiser equivilant) before returning to bed at a reasonable hour.

Exciting stuff, I know. But at least I'm here and planning on getting a bus to La Fortuna tomorrow to check out the Arenal Volcano and some Hot Springs.

No comments: